Monday, March 30, 2009

1 week till opening day!

When I was little my grandfather used to take me to Red Sox games once or twice a summer. I'm sure to him, it was probably the best thing ever but to a impatient, hyperactive 10 to 15 year old Islander it was a miserable hot afternoon of stepping on empty peanut shells and the smell of stale beer. Looking back, I wish I had appreciated those times more but at least I experienced it and I have the memory of it to think about. In many ways I think its that feeling of nostalgia that attracts Americans to baseball. There are other reasons; I love the numbers, the building of tension, the timeless feeling of the 9 innings, whatever it may be, but I always go back to memories of my grandfather and of playing T-ball or farm league. I think a lot of people feel like this too, partially because people write books and movies about it often enough; that by being at a game or watching one it makes them that much closer to something they treasure. The scent of a worn leather glove, fresh cut grass, and dust kicked into a cloud all remind me of steamy summer days playing baseball when I was little. These days are long gone but watching and rooting for the Red Sox or whomever help me remember those days and what about them that's still with me. I'd love to hear about some of your great summer past-time memories about baseball.

2 comments:

  1. I used to be completely disinterested with baseball too; now it's my favorite sport. I love the numbers. I love the psychology. I love that there's no clock. I love that a team can be losing 10-1 going into the 9th, but until that last out is thrown, there's still a chance they could pull through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, its pretty great that there is no such thing as a done deal in baseball until that 3rd strike of the 3rd out of the 9th innings is called.

    ReplyDelete